The eLearning Challenge
This ELH Challenge involved creation of games to improve punctuation and grammar.
The Look and Feel
I decided to go with a manga theme for this game. I obtained public domain vector images of a manga character at a blackboard via pixelbay. In order to add to the feel of the game, I searched freesound.com for manga related audio samples and used these for atmosphere and playback during the feedback screens.
- To successfully complete three punctuation challenges.
- The player is presented with a sentence and has to drag the appropriate punctuation icon to the correct location.
- The player is sometimes presented with more than one punctuation icon to choose from. The correct icon has to be selected and dragged to the indicated area.
- When a challenge is successfully completed, the game icon at the top of the screen turns green.
- If the player fails a challenge, the game icon turns red.
- An audio clip is played dependant on the player’s selection.
- At the end of the game, if the player gets at least one icon red, they are presented with an option to try again.
- If the player wins the game by getting all three icons green, a congratulatory message is displayed.
The game starts with a demo of the interaction. A simulation of the drag and drop action is shown with an animation of an icon being dragged across the screen to a drop target. A hand is then shown to demonstrate the use of the submit button. The game starts with the first of three grammar challenges.
Click below to play the punctuation game.